Anti-Trafficking Field Officer
About Us: Love Justice International (LJI) is a Christian nonprofit organization and our mission is sharing the love of Jesus Christ by fighting the world’s greatest injustices. We do this in two primary ways: through our expanding anti-human trafficking work and by caring for orphaned and abandoned children. We are seeking faithful, compassionate, thoughtful problem-solvers who are able to think deeply and carefully about how we can share Christ's love by fighting injustice. You can make more money elsewhere, and probably find better ways to live an easier, more comfortable life. We see this work as more than just a job, but as a calling to that mission. If you are called to our mission and want to find out how you can fit into our work, apply today!
Love Justice International is a certified Best Christian Workplace in 2021 and 2022. Click here for more information about us.
Position Type: Full Time; Salaried (for candidates residing in South Africa) and Support-Raised* (for candidates outside of South Africa); Overseas (South Africa)
*If hired, the candidate will be required to raise financial support to cover his/her own salary, benefits, and expenses. Raising support is a key example of the body of Christ supporting its members and joining in the fight against injustice. LJI will provide administrative and prayer support throughout the process, as well as guidance and resources to build up a support base. Please prayerfully consider whether you may be called to step out in faith and raise support for this position.
Position Overview: LJI's anti-human trafficking model focuses on transit monitoring. We identify, intercept, and assist trafficking victims as they are being transported—when victims and traffickers are the most visible and open to detection—and before they reach the destination where victims will be sold, hidden, and abused. Because the crime of trafficking has already commenced, we have access to actionable intelligence that can be used to assist police in the apprehension of suspects and to understand trafficking methods. To date, we have intercepted over 28,000 individuals to prevent them from being trafficked. More than 1,000 arrests have stemmed from our anti-trafficking work with 35% of closed cases resulting in convictions.
To ensure excellence among our field offices in Asia and Africa, Love Justice has developed more than 30 "core processes" to implement in each office to monitor performance and compliance. These processes include a variety of different areas, such as: budgeting and financial reporting, administration and human resources, data collection and compliance, security audit and investigations, shelter care, and legal cases.
The role of an Anti-Trafficking Field Officer is to help install and monitor compliance of these core processes. This position offers candidates the unique opportunity to apply their practical knowledge and skills to make a difference for anti-trafficking work around the world. The core processes for which the Field Officer will be responsible would depend on her area(s) of professional expertise. Relevant fields include business, finance, accounting, legal, data analysis, security, law enforcement/investigations, human resources, and human assessments.
The Anti-Trafficking Field Officer will report to the Director of Compliance. The position will be based in Ballito, South Africa and will involve travel to our programs throughout Africa and Asia.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: The primary duties and responsibilities of the Anti-Trafficking Field Officer are the following:
- Core Process Installation - Field Officers will work closely with LJI core process Leads and LJI Regional Stewards to install necessary core processes.
- Installation may often take place through a series of video calls and emails, however, also occasionally will require travel to the field for in person trainings
- Core Process Compliance - After the installation of a core process, Field Officers will be assigned one or more core processes for which they will assist the core process Lead in closely tracking compliance.
- Follow up training will often stem from this compliance monitoring work and Field Officers will be expected to take initiative to ensure our national partners understand what is required of them.
- Anti-Trafficking Pilot Projects - As a member of the anti-trafficking program team, Field Officers will remain available to assist in new project ideas. A particular Field Officer’s passions, skills, and expertise will be taken into account.
In time, Field Officers may likely develop an expertise in one or more of our core processes and take on more responsibility (as the assigned Implementation Manager or becoming the core process Lead).
The duties listed above are conducted within a work culture that is striving to emulate Christ and make him first and central. Staff should agree with the following ideas included in what it means to us to Abide in Christ (our first Global Value):
- Our Primary Identity is in Christ
- We Believe God Is Sovereign Over Injustice
- We Are Made, Called, and Led By Christ
- We Commit to Connect with Jesus
- Prayer Should Be Central To Our Work
- Our Conduct Is Our Testimony
- Mature Christian faith and agreement with our Global Value to “Abide in Christ”
- Knowledge, understanding, and agreement with how the Christian Gospel ministers to “the least of these” (Matthew 25:40) and guides us in our mission
- Agreement with our Core Value “Be the Kingdom”(both in the execution of our mission and in our personal lives)
- Acknowledgement of our Statement of Faith
- A strong commitment to social justice and advocacy on behalf of vulnerable populations
- Ability to work well in cross-cultural contexts and sensitivity to different cultures; experience working cross-culturally preferred
- Critical-thinking and problem-solving skills; basic quantitative reasoning skills
- Strong work ethic, self-motivation, and willingness to adapt to changing and challenging circumstances
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Significant experience in at least one relevant field, including: business, finance, accounting, legal, data analysis, security, human resources, and human assessments
- Familiarity with working with complex spreadsheets preferred
- Proficiency with Google Suite and particularly with Google Sheets
- Ability to work well within a group setting and maintain a positive outlook while working within challenging circumstances
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree in a relevant field is required; a master's degree or higher is preferred
- Proficiency in one of the following languages preferred, but not required, in addition to English: Spanish, French, Portuguese, and/or Swahili.