Anti-Trafficking Software Developer
About Us: Love Justice International (LJI) is a Christian nonprofit organization and our mission is sharing the love of Jesus Christ by fighting the world’s greatest injustices. We do this in two primary ways: through our expanding anti-human trafficking work and by caring for orphaned and abandoned children. We are seeking faithful, compassionate, thoughtful problem-solvers who are able to think deeply and carefully about how we can share Christ's love by fighting injustice. You can make more money elsewhere, and probably find better ways to live an easier, more comfortable life. We see this work as more than just a job, but as a calling to that mission. If you are called to our mission and want to find out how you can fit into our work, apply today!
Love Justice International is a certified Best Christian Workplace in 2021 and 2022. Click here for more information about us.
Position Type: Full Time; Support-Raised*; Overseas (South Africa)
*If hired, the candidate will be required to raise financial support to cover his/her own salary, benefits, and expenses. Raising support is a key example of the body of Christ supporting its members and joining in the fight against injustice. LJI will provide administrative and prayer support throughout the process, as well as guidance and resources to build up a support base. Please prayerfully consider whether you may be called to step out in faith and raise support for this position.
Position Overview: LJI's anti-human trafficking model focuses on transit monitoring. We identify, intercept, and assist trafficking victims as they are being transported—when victims and traffickers are the most visible and open to detection—and before they reach the destination where victims will be sold, hidden, and abused. Because the crime of trafficking has already commenced, we have access to actionable intelligence which can be used to assist police in the apprehension of suspects and to better understand trafficking methods. To date, we have intercepted over 28,000 individuals to prevent them from being trafficked. More than 1,000 arrests have stemmed from our anti-trafficking work with 35% of closed cases resulting in convictions.
We adopt a data-centric and evidence-based approach to all of our work, and being a data-driven organization requires cutting-edge data management solutions. To that end, we have developed a custom data collection and analysis web application called Searchlight Human Trafficking Data Center. This technology is a linchpin that enables Love Justice to replicate our effective transit-monitoring model around the globe.
The Anti-Trafficking Software Developer will be instrumental in accelerating the development of Searchlight’s features and capacity, including expansion to new fields.
The Anti-Trafficking Software Developer will be based in South Africa and will report to the Chief of Staff. Some travel to LJI’s other field offices may be required.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: The primary duties and responsibilities of the Anti-Trafficking Software Developer are the following:
- Developing new features for Searchlight to expand LJI’s ability to leverage data through intelligence-led investigations and trend analysis
- Utilizing strong cognitive skills, both quantitative and qualitative, to maintain and improve Searchlight’s capacity to collect a variety of forms of data from multiple contexts and design interfaces to view such data
- Providing support for the various tech-related projects or spreadsheets; for example, LJI uses Google Sheets extensively and often requires solutions through various formulas and scripts, some of which connect to APIs from other applications
- Training and working with end users of Searchlight
The duties listed above are conducted within a work culture that is striving to emulate Christ and make him first and central. Staff should agree with the following ideas included in what it means to us to Abide in Christ (our first Global Value):
- Our Primary Identity is in Christ
- We Believe God Is Sovereign Over Injustice
- We Are Made, Called, and Led By Christ
- We Commit to Connect with Jesus
- Prayer Should Be Central To Our Work
- Our Conduct Is Our Testimony
- Mature Christian faith and agreement with our Global Value to “Abide in Christ”
- Knowledge, understanding, and agreement with how the Christian Gospel ministers to “the least of these” (Matthew 25:40) and guides us in our mission
- Agreement with our Core Value “Be the Kingdom”(both in the execution of our mission and in our personal lives)
- Acknowledgement of our Statement of Faith
- A strong commitment to social justice and advocacy on behalf of vulnerable populations
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in computer science
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Logical reasoning, problem solving, and quantitative skills
- Ideal candidates will have considerable knowledge of full stack development (preferable experience with Django and AngularJS or similar frameworks)
- Candidates with software development management experience preferred