Anti-Trafficking Software Development Internship
Program Dates: June 1 - July 31, 2024
Application Deadline: March 31, 2024
About Us: Love Justice International (LJI) is a Christian nonprofit organization compelled by God’s love to fight the world’s greatest injustices. We fight injustice in two primary ways: through our expanding anti-human trafficking work and by caring for orphaned and abandoned children. We currently work throughout Asia and Africa.
Position Type: Full Time (Internship); Support-Raised*; Overseas (South Africa)
- If hired, the intern will be required to raise financial support to cover all expenses related to the internship, including housing, transportation, food, and other relevant costs. Raising support is a key example of the body of Christ supporting its members and joining in the fight against injustice. LJI will provide administrative and prayer support throughout the process, as well as guidance and resources to build up a support base.
Position Overview: LJI’s strategy of transit monitoring focuses on identifying and assisting trafficking victims during the transport process – when victims and traffickers are visible and open to detection – and before they reach the destination where the victims will be hidden and exploited. Because the crime of trafficking has already commenced, we have access to actionable intelligence which can be used to assist police in the apprehension of suspects and to better understand trafficking methods.
LJI adopts a data-centric and evidence-based approach to all aspects of our work. For our anti-trafficking program, we collect, verify, and analyze data about potential victims and suspected traffickers, using our own software, which helps to provide insight into traffickers’ strategies and to evaluate our work. Accurate, intelligible data is crucial to the success of our model, and as the Anti-Trafficking Software Development Intern, you will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience with developing new capabilities and functionalities in either our mobile web application, Searchlight, or our new mobile app geared towards field data collection for our monitors.
This internship period is from June 1 - July 31, 2024, is based in Ballito, South Africa, and reports to the Programmer Analyst.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, and test new functionality for our software tools;
- Research new libraries and tools that can be used to add functionality or improve current features of our tools;
- Other duties as assigned by the Programmer Analyst and/or Internship Program Coordinator.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Mature Christian faith;
- At least two years of undergraduate study in software engineering, computer science, or a similar discipline;
- Experience with full-stack development (Exposure to Django REST Framework, AngularJS, React, React Native preferable);
- Flexibility in ever-changing work environments.