Anti-Trafficking Software Development Volunteer
About Us: Love Justice International (LJI) is a Christian nonprofit organization and our mission is sharing the love of Jesus Christ by fighting the world’s greatest injustices. We do this in two primary ways: through our expanding anti-human trafficking work and by caring for orphaned and abandoned children. We are seeking faithful, compassionate, thoughtful problem-solvers who are able to think deeply and carefully about how we can share Christ's love by fighting injustice. You can make more money elsewhere, and probably find better ways to live an easier, more comfortable life. We see this work as more than just a job, but as a calling to that mission. If you are called to our mission and want to find out how you can fit into our work, apply today!
Love Justice International is a certified Best Christian Workplace in 2021 and 2022. Click here for more information about us.
Position Type: Volunteer; Stateside (Remote)
Position Overview: LJI's anti-human trafficking model focuses on transit monitoring. We identify, intercept, and assist trafficking victims as they are being transported—when victims and traffickers are the most visible and open to detection—and before they reach the destination where victims will be sold, hidden, and abused. Because the crime of trafficking has already commenced, we have access to actionable intelligence that can be used to assist police in the apprehension of suspects and to understand trafficking methods. To date, we have intercepted over 27,000 individuals to prevent them from being trafficked and have assisted police in the arrest of over 1,100 traffickers, with 35% of closed cases resulting in convictions.
We adopt a data-centric and evidence-based approach to all of our work, and being a data-driven organization requires cutting-edge data management solutions. To that end, we have developed a custom data collection and analysis web application called Searchlight Human Trafficking Data Center. This technology is a linchpin that enables Love Justice to replicate our effective transit-monitoring model around the globe.
The Anti-Trafficking Software Development Volunteer will be instrumental in accelerating the development of Searchlight’s features and capacity, including expansion to new fields.
The duration of this volunteer opportunity is flexible, but we ask for a minimum commitment of 100 hours. Please include a brief cover letter and your resume with your application.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing new features for Searchlight to expand LJI’s ability to leverage data through intelligence-led investigations and trend analysis
- Utilizing strong cognitive skills, both quantitative and qualitative, to maintain and improve Searchlight’s capacity to collect a variety of forms of data from multiple contexts and design interfaces to view such data
- A strong commitment to social justice and advocacy on behalf of vulnerable populations
- Highly self motivated
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in computer science
- At least 5 years of software development experience
- Logical reasoning, problem solving, and quantitative skills
- Ideal candidates will have considerable knowledge of full stack development (preferable experience with Django and React or AngularJS or similar frameworks)