Counseling and Parent Field Officer
About Us: Love Justice International (LJI) is a Christian nonprofit organization and our mission is sharing the love of Jesus Christ by fighting the world’s greatest injustices. We do this in two primary ways: through our expanding anti-human trafficking work and by caring for orphaned and abandoned children. We are seeking faithful, compassionate, thoughtful problem-solvers who are able to think deeply and carefully about how we can share Christ's love by fighting injustice. You can make more money elsewhere, and probably find better ways to live an easier, more comfortable life. We see this work as more than just a job, but as a calling to that mission. If you are called to our mission and want to find out how you can fit into our work, apply today!
Love Justice International is a certified Best Christian Workplace in 2021 and 2022. Click here for more information about us.
Position Type: Full Time; Support-Raised*; Overseas (South Asia)
*If hired, the candidate will be required to raise financial support to cover his/her own salary, benefits, and expenses. Raising support is a key example of the body of Christ supporting its members and joining in the fight against injustice. LJI will provide administrative and prayer support throughout the process, as well as guidance and resources to build up a support base. Please prayerfully consider whether you may be called to step out in faith and raise support for this position.
Position Overview: More than 15 million children worldwide are orphaned, and many more have been abandoned by their parents. These children are among the most salient examples of "the least of these" about whom Jesus speaks in Matthew 25:40.
At LJI, we operate 18 family homes that care for over 200 children in Nepal, India, and Bangladesh. Each home is overseen by house parents and at least one helper, and the entire program is supported by 12 national and international staff. Our mission is to help them become difference makers for Christ by providing stable, loving, family-like homes that are developmentally enriching in every way.
The Counseling and Parent Training Coordinator will facilitate the provision of counseling for the children in LJI’s family homes, including those who have experienced trauma, and will train staff and parents on how to counsel and mentor the children as well. This position will require living in Nepal (with extensive travel), and will report to the Director of Family Homes. Frequent home visitation will be essential.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: The Counseling and Parent Training Coordinator will utilize strong cognitive skills, both qualitative and quantitative, to maintain and improve upon LJI’s data-driven, multi-pronged approach to addressing our children’s emotional needs. Specific responsibilities of the position will include:
- Facilitating Counseling for Children - To facilitate the provision of effective counseling to those children within Love Justice International’s (LJI) Family Homes (FH) Program who need it. Given that (a) trained counselors are hard to find within the country, and (b) it is crucial for children to receive counseling in their first language, this will most likely involve developing creative solutions, such as:
- Training our own staff to counsel effectively,
- Setting up group counseling or support groups,
- Expanding the search for trained Nepali counselors, and
- Potentially counseling children with a trained interpreter.
- Parent Training - To develop or adapt and provide consistent trainings regarding child development, parenting, or other relevant topics to home parents.
- Other Projects - Depending on the qualifications and passions of the candidate, this position will involve getting involved in developing, refining, and implementing other core processes and projects.
The duties listed above are conducted within a work culture that is striving to emulate Christ and make him first and central. Staff should agree with the following ideas included in what it means to us to Abide in Christ (our first Global Value):
- Our Primary Identity is in Christ
- We Believe God Is Sovereign Over Injustice
- We Are Made, Called, and Led By Christ
- We Commit to Connect with Jesus
- Prayer Should Be Central To Our Work
- Our Conduct Is Our Testimony
- Mature Christian faith and agreement with our Global Value to “Abide in Christ”
- Knowledge, understanding, and agreement with how the Christian Gospel ministers to “the least of these” (Matthew 25:40) and guides us in our mission
- Agreement with our Core Value “Be the Kingdom”(both in the execution of our mission and in our personal lives)
- Acknowledgement of our Statement of Faith
- A Master’s Degree in counseling or a related field
- While a degree in Christian counseling is not required, the expectation is that the therapist/counselor will focus his/her therapy through a Christ-based lens.
- Sufficient training and experience counseling children with moderate to severe trauma is preferable.
- Ability to work well within a group-setting and maintain a positive outlook working within a challenging circumstances
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Problem-solving and logical reasoning skills
- Strong work ethic and self-motivation
- Strong passion for children's development, children's rights, and justice