Love Justice Center Grounds and Facilities Manager
About Us: Love Justice International (LJI) is a Christian nonprofit organization and our mission is sharing the love of Jesus Christ by fighting the world’s greatest injustices. We do this in two primary ways: through our expanding anti-human trafficking work and by caring for orphaned and abandoned children. We are seeking faithful, compassionate, thoughtful problem-solvers who are able to think deeply and carefully about how we can share Christ's love by fighting injustice. You can make more money elsewhere, and probably find better ways to live an easier, more comfortable life. We see this work as more than just a job, but as a calling to that mission. If you are called to our mission and want to find out how you can fit into our work, apply today!
Love Justice International is a certified Best Christian Workplace in 2021 and 2022. Click here for more information about us.
Position Type: Full Time; Support-Raised*; Overseas (South Asia)
*If hired, the candidate will be required to raise financial support to cover his/her own salary, benefits, and expenses. Raising support is a key example of the body of Christ supporting its members and joining in the fight against injustice. LJI will provide administrative and prayer support throughout the process, as well as guidance and resources to build up a support base. Please prayerfully consider whether you may be called to step out in faith and raise support for this position.
Position Overview: LJI operates 17 family homes and one young adult hostel for orphaned and abandoned children in Nepal, Bangladesh, and India, providing for over 200 children. Our mission is to help them become difference makers for Christ by providing stable, loving, family-like homes that are developmentally enriching in every way. At the heart of our Family Homes program is the Love Justice Center, a plot of land on which four of these homes are located.
Just outside of Pokhara, Nepal, the Love Justice Center sits in a beautiful area of grass and trees on a cliff overlooking a river. There is a lush jungle just south of the Love Justice Center, and the Himalayan Mountains can be seen daily throughout most of the year in the north.
LJI has developed a plan to tend and care for the Center grounds to give the children living there the most beautiful and ordered environment in which to grow up. The Grounds and Facilities Manager will oversee the Love Justice Center, along with all those that work there, implementing and monitoring these processes and other best practices to ensure that the Center remains well taken care of year-round. This position will report to the Family Home Director and will be based in Pokhara, Nepal.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing and upkeep the Center grounds and facilities, including (but not limited to):
- Grounds and landscaping
- Non-home structures (playgrounds, pavilion, amphitheater, shed, walls,
- fences, road, etc.)
- Outdoor furniture
- Using basic quantitative reasoning skills for soil testing, fertilizing, and other methods for grass, tree, and plant care
- Assisting the Director of Family Homes to strengthen existing policies and processes regarding the Center and its care
- Helping new staff settle in, including finding a house, purchasing furniture, getting set up with the necessities, and generally supporting them
- Finding ways (either through the Love Justice School, or working directly with the homes outside of school) to teach the kids practical skills and the value of hard work, including gardening and grounds management, construction, woodworking, sports, etc.
The duties listed above are conducted within a work culture that is striving to emulate Christ and make him first and central. Staff should agree with the following ideas included in what it means to us to Abide in Christ (our first Global Value):
- Our Primary Identity is in Christ
- We Believe God Is Sovereign Over Injustice
- We Are Made, Called, and Led By Christ
- We Commit to Connect with Jesus
- Prayer Should Be Central To Our Work
- Our Conduct Is Our Testimony
- Mature Christian faith and agreement with our Global Value to “Abide in Christ”
- Knowledge, understanding, and agreement with how the Christian Gospel ministers to “the least of these” (Matthew 25:40) and guides us in our mission
- Agreement with our Core Value “Be the Kingdom”(both in the execution of our mission and in our personal lives)
- Acknowledgement of our Statement of Faith
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong work ethic, self-motivation, and willingness to adapt to changing
- and challenging circumstances
- Competent and current knowledge of environmental science
- Strong passion and conscience for the environment
- Training and experience in landscaping
- A bachelor’s degree or vocational certificate in land management (or a related field)